If you like crispy steamed vegetables, then you should know that steaming vegetables helps retain their individual flavors and crisp textures, therefore fewer vitamins are lost than when you boil them. Once you select your favorite vegetables and steam them in your basket or bamboo steamer, you will have a delicious, healthy meal to enjoy with family and friends. Alternatively, you can choose to add a sauce for a spicy or tangy vegetable mock stir-fry, no oil required.
Just in case you’re not quite sure how to steam your favorite veggies properly, we have made a list with the steps you need to take in order to have the best Asian-style steamed vegetables:
- Fill a large pot 1/3 full of water. Place it on a burner and turn the heat high. Then, just wait for the water to boil.
- Put the vegetables in the bamboo steamer or the steamer basket and carefully place the steamer into the pot. If you are using a bamboo steamer, fit the lid over the bamboo steamer basket and then fit it carefully into the pot. In case you are using a basket steamer, place it in the pot and cover it with the pot's lid. Make sure that none of the hot water enters gets into the steamer.
- Allow the vegetables to steam for 5-8 minutes. Do not disturb them while they are steaming - the steam will nicely cook all of the vegetables evenly and besides, you wouldn’t want to risk being burned by the hot steam.
- Remove the bamboo steamer or the steamer basket from the pot and turn the burner off when the vegetables are done. You’ll know that the vegetables are done properly when they are crisp yet tender.
- Pour stir fry sauce into a bowl and warm it for 30 seconds before pouring the sauce over the plated vegetables.
- Enjoy your delicious treats, you’ve done a great job!
Simple steps, right? However, as a warning, you may want to keep in mind that steam is extremely hot and can cause serious burns. So, handle the steamer baskets with great care when you are putting them on a pot or taking them off.
Other than that, just follow these few very simple steps and give yourself the opportunity enjoy healthy food cooked in healthy ways.
Do you like steamed vegetables? Have you ever tried making them yourself? Share with us in the comments below.